1. When was CfH at Scripps Founded and How?
Challah for Hunger was founded in 2004 by Eli Winkelman in a desire to connect her love of baking with her passion for advocacy, particularly in regards to genocide in the Sudan.
2. How many people are involved with challah baking and selling?
We have over 200 students on the mailing list, and count 10 students as managers and 75 as active volunteers.
3. What is the most popular challah flavor at Scripps?
Vegan cinnamon sugar is always a big seller, and our flavors of the week tend to be very popular, especially peanut butter chocolate chip and garlic parmesan
4. Where do you sell challah?
We sell challah in Seal Court, a centralized courtyard on our campus near our student coffee house and dining hall.
5. Where do you give your donations locally? And Why?
This year, we are donating our money to Uncommon Good. The mission of Uncommon Good is to break the intergenerational cycle of poverty and to work for the restoration of our planet
6. Describe your leadership team- who runs the show?
The leadership team is headed by three coordinators who handle trouble-shooting and oversee the other managers. There are nine other managers who handle specific tasks – Sales Manager, Dough Manager, Volunteer Manager, Finance Manager, Advocacy Manager, Claremont Liaison, Publicity, Baking Manager, Productions Manager
7. Do you partner with any other organizations? If yes, who and how?
We often partner with other on campus organizations. This year, we have done events with Scripps Live Arts, which hosts live music events for students, and are planning to contribute to Claremont Colleges Against Cancer’s Relay for Life event.
8. What is your best advice for chapters that are just starting?Promote your product to students! Once people are excited about the bread (and get addicted) its easy to have customers who keep coming back.
9. What’s your favorite Challah-pun (Challahday, Challah Back, etc)?
We love celebrating Challahween, an event we put on for students every year where volunteers can come make challah with Halloween candy!
10. How can other chapters be in touch with you?
We would love to talk with other chapters, they can always reach out to us at[email protected].